Consumers hold retailers accountable for providing a seamless, enjoyable experience from the start of the purchase journey to the end. If the entire experience doesn’t meet customers’ expectations, they will use the same channels they typically use to seek help to vent their frustrations. They'll also look to another retailer to satisfy their needs.
Customer service—pre- or post-purchase—is a big part of the consumer experience. And it's just when a customer has had a negative experience that customer service needs to be on par. Or better than.
This is often the last opportunity to win over a dissatisfied customer. But is your customer service team up to the task, especially as you head into the hectic holiday season?
To ensure that your support team is set up to satisfy, take stock of the people, processes, and systems you currently have in place. Begin by asking the following questions:
- Which channels are currently available for customer support? What is the demand/volume for each channel?
- Are there other channels where your customers are engaging with you that you’re not using for support (e.g., SMS, social media)?
- Do you have your customers’ permission to reach out to them using the data they’ve provided to you (e.g., phone numbers, email addresses, social media accounts, etc.)?
- How have your customer service KPIs been trending? For example, your customer satisfaction (via surveys), customer retention rate, average resolution time, revenue, etc. What’s working and what could be improved?
- Does your support staff have all the tools they need to effectively do their jobs?
- Are your customer service representatives trained properly?
- Do you have enough people working in customer service?
- What are the most common complaints your agents hear from customers?
Once you’ve answered these questions, you'll be better equipped to take a deeper look at:
- Hiring the right people
- Adjusting your processes and implementing key policies
- Determining whether your systems support your success
In our ebook, A Retailer’s Guide to Getting Omnichannel Customer Service Right, we've even included a helpful checklist to help retailers evaluate the right customer service platform for your business.
To learn more, download your copy of A Retailer’s Guide to Getting Omnichannel Customer Service Right