Employees are Also Customers: Internal Customer Service
What is internal customer service?
Internal customer service is the support given by employees in departments like human resources and facilities to all employees of a company. Though employees are not always thought of as customers, employees need support too, and effective management of those needs improves job satisfaction and productivity.
Zendesk Help Center lets companies offer robust self-service options to their employees, granting them quick and easy access to important information.
See what’s new
However, there is another group of people associated with the company, and their level of satisfaction is also tied to the success of the company: the employees. After all, they are the people who get things done. Departments like HR, facilities, operations, finance, and IT are essential in ensuring employees have what they need to be set up for success, both personally and for the company.
- Clear communication. Beginning with onboarding, ensure all employees understand what each department does, what they are responsible for, and how to communicate with them and make support requests.
- Provide self-service options. Internal customer service providers don’t need to personally solve every single issue. Some questions, like the location of office supplies or the office holiday schedule, can be provided in an internal knowledge base, saving time for everyone involved.
- Don’t be an island. It can be easy for internal support providers to get wrapped up in the specifics of their work and lose sight of the rest of the organization. Understanding the goals of the entire company and each specific department can inform how internal support is provided in a way that helps reach those goals.
How Zendesk helps
- Internal support providers can create efficient workflows that integrate with already existing systems for things like IT. Plus employees can easily check on the state of open requests for support without having to directly reach out for support.
- Zendesk Help Center lets companies offer robust self-service options to their employees, granting them quick and easy access to important information.
- Track employee sentiment. Zendesk makes it easy to send and track surveys to employees about everything from job satisfaction to which snacks they’d like in the kitchen.
The right time
Companies who want the most from their employees should invest in internal customer service, including everything from building internal communication infrastructure to quality internal customer service training.Show your employees some love
We have more to say about this. Have a look below.
Internal customer service can always improve. Use these resources to learn how.