Zendesk agents can receive text message updates when a wide range of events occurs e.g. when you receive a new ticket, or maybe a a new ticket forma specific customer.
Zendesk has a handy set of URL targets which can be configured alongside some event triggers, things like New Ticket, Update on a Ticket, Ticket Resolved. Once you have them configured you'll receive text messages when the events occur.
How to install
Zendesk SMS Setup
- First you need to setup the target in Zendesk
- Navigate to MANAGE and select Extensions.
- Click the tab Targets and then add target.
- You’ll be given a load of options, you want to select the one titled URL Target.
- Set the following parameters:
- Title: We called ours “mediaburstsms” but feel free to call it what you want.
- Url: We’ll come back to this in a second.
- Method: select GET
- Attribute Name: type the word Content into this box.
- Url: The Url field is where the most important info goes including:
- Your username and password for the Mediaburst SMS API, and
- the mobile phone number where the notifications will be sent to
- You need to copy and paste the following line of code, but replace some parts with your security information. Don’t worry you don’t need to be techy, just read through the code and replace:
Replace these words only, nothing before or after them, don’t replace any ‘=’ or ‘&’, literally just those words above.
Here’s the code:
Once you have put this code in the Url field you should be able to select Test target and you’ll receive a test SMS.
Save the settings before you click away from this page.
Now you’ll need to set some triggers i.e. events that will give rise to an SMS being triggered. You’ll find them in Zendesk in the main menu under MANAGE, then Triggers and mail notifications.
I set up a trigger to notify me when we receive a new ticket. To make the information more useful I’ve included the requesters name and the subject field in the SMS.
Here’s a screen shot of my trigger configuration, and the resulting SMS.