Zendesk delivers on carbon neutrality to customers and employees
Commits to setting additional science-based targets to further reduce our environmental footprint
Published January 4, 2023
As of the close of 2022, Zendesk delivered a carbon neutral product to our customers, and achieved carbon neutrality on employee travel related emissions. This means that all greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from our product value chain, and our employees’ business travel and commuting are reduced and mitigated, which represents the greatest sustainability milestone in our 15 year history.
To continue reducing our emissions, we have joined the Science-based Target Initiative (SBTi), which is a collaboration between environmental non-profit organizations and calls for best practices in emissions reductions.
The latest climate science shows that global temperature increase above the pre-industrial level must be capped at 1.5°C in order to avoid the devastating consequences of climate change. By joining the SBTi, we are committed to setting additional climate goals in line with the 1.5°C future.
“I am proud that we delivered our customers a carbon neutral product, and are continuing our climate actions based on the latest climate science,” said Megan Trotter, VP of Social Impact at Zendesk. “We hope that our progress not only helps our customers with their sustainability goals, but also helps them to provide more environmentally responsible products to their own customers. We know there is much more to be done, and we are excited to partner with our customers, suppliers, and employees on this journey towards a net zero society.”
Over the past few years, Zendesk has made major progress towards our environmental goals, including:
- Purchasing 100% renewable electricity and certificates since 2019
- Pivoted to a digital-first strategy, which continues to reduce our employee travel emissions
- Constantly optimizing our product engineering systems to reduce emissions
- Encouraging our suppliers to set climate targets and reduce emissions
- Purchasing high-quality and verified carbon reduction offsets
- Investing in a diverse portfolio of nature-based and engineering-focused carbon removal solutions, which sequester greenhouse gasses from the atmosphere
Learn more about Zendesk’s commitment to corporate responsibility in our Global Impact Report.