83 motivational sales quotes to inspire your sales team
Whether you’re in need of encouragement to meet your sales goals or comforting words after losing a deal, these inspirational quotes will reignite your fire.
Published April 23, 2021
Last updated December 14, 2021
On your journey to sales greatness, a little inspiration is necessary at times. Whether you’re struggling to meet your targets, feeling bummed after a harsh rejection, or finding it difficult to focus, a few positive sales quotes can help you power through those challenging days.
We compiled the most inspirational sales quotes from the likes of Zig Ziglar and Jeffrey Gitomer as well as original quotes from sales teams in the trenches.
After reading this collection of quotes, you’ll feel energized to complete your daily responsibilities, build strong relationships with potential customers, confidently tackle lost deals, and knock your quotas out of the park.
Sales leadership quotes
Leading a sales team isn’t easy. Not only do you have to stay energized, but you also have to motivate your agents every day. Use these sales leadership quotes to keep your team moving forward, even when times are tough.
- “Remember, you are not in charge; you are responsible for those in your charge.” —Simon Sinek
- “One way to encourage people to perform better is to let them take the lead in setting their own goals, rather than dictating the terms and manner of their development.” —Jonathan Farrington
- “While it is the sales team’s job to bring in business, simply cranking up the heat to get the numbers you want can produce an environment where stress backfires.” —Scott Edinger
- “Great salespeople are not born, they are made. They are continually coached to flex their smarts and inquisitive nature. Training should encourage them to be hungry and to have the confidence to show their true colors.” —Ed Calnan
- “It’s easier to manage by metrics (e.g., ‘How come you only did 15 demos this week?’) than to lead the whole person. Great sales leaders think of themselves not as a manager, but as a coach. A coach who develops each salesperson to their full potential.” —Kevin Kruse
- “Teaching people doesn’t subtract value from what you do, it actually adds to it. When you teach someone how to do your work, you are, in effect, generating more interest in your work. People feel closer to your work because you’re letting them in on what you know.” —Austin Kleon
- “The true price of leadership is the willingness to place the needs of others above your own. Great leaders truly care about those they are privileged to lead and understand that the true cost of the leadership privilege comes at the expense of self-interest.” —Simon Sinek
- If you don’t have a defined process that moves your people forward so they can achieve greater results, then what is it you are managing? You’re managing the status quo.” —Keith Rosen
- “Good is the enemy of great.” —Jim Collins
- “Take risks now. Do something bold. You won’t regret it.” —Elon Musk
The best sales leaders help their team overcome the hurdles of selling while harnessing individual strengths to win more deals. Use these sales leadership quotes to remind yourself to be empathetic and encourage team members to boldly face challenges.
Positive sales quotes for the day
An optimistic attitude will make even the most mundane tasks a bit easier and power you through any problems the day brings. Here are a few sales quotes to get you in the right headspace.
- “Escape competition through authenticity.” —Naval Ravikant
- “Sales is about helping others and making a difference in their lives.” —Mark Hunter
- “You only need one ray of light to chase all the shadows away.” —Fredrik Backman
- “Love of sales + love of life = a happy result.” —Jeffrey Gitomer
- “We must build dikes of courage to hold back the flood of fear.” —Martin Luther King, Jr.
- “Think of your emotions as messages that give you the freedom, rather than the obligation, to respond. Fear protects. Regret teaches. Sadness releases. Joy uplifts. Empathy unites.” —Chip Conley
- “A great use for the word ‘but’: ‘We’ve never done that before, but that doesn’t mean we can’t do it now.’ ” —Don Cooper
- “Quality performance starts with a positive attitude.”—Jeffrey Gitomer
- “Sales rarely get better by just waiting around.” —Colleen Francis
- “You can’t connect the dots looking forward. You can only connect them looking backward. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future.” —Steve Jobs
A large part of succeeding depends on your mindset. A positive outlook will motivate you to get back up after hearing the toughest nos and will keep you knocking on doors until one opens up to you. Use these positive sales quotes to stay pumped each day and continue winning.
Productivity sales quotes
In sales, it’s easy to become overwhelmed because there are so many tasks to juggle—finding leads, following up with prospects, and scheduling demos, to name just a few. Here are some quotes on sales productivity that will help you reevaluate how you’re spending your time and redirect your focus.
- “Lack of direction, not lack of time, is the problem. We all have 24-hour days.” —Zig Ziglar
- “Workaholics aren’t heroes. They don’t save the day, they just use it up. The real hero is home because she figured out a faster way.” —Jason Fried
- “One of the very worst uses of time is to do something very well that needs not to be done at all.” —Brian Tracy
- “Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” —Theodore Roosevelt
- “I attribute my success to this: I never gave or took an excuse.” —Florence Nightingale
- “The first part of success is ‘Get-to-it-iveness’; the second part of success is ‘Stick-to-it-iveness.’” —Orison Swett Marden
- “If you have to eat two frogs, eat the ugliest one first. This is another way of saying that if you have two important tasks before you, start with the biggest, hardest, and most important task first.” —Brian Tracy
- “CALL THE DAMN LEADS!” —Drewbie Wilson, VP, Break Free Academy
- “Productivity is never an accident. It is always the result of a commitment to excellence, intelligent planning, and focused effort.” —Paul J. Meyer
- “Either you run the day, or the day runs you.” —Jim Rohn
- “If you don’t produce, you won’t thrive—no matter how skilled or talented you are.” —Cal Newport
- “Only those who believe they can get better make an effort to do so.” —James M. Kouzes
- “Most of us spend too much time on what is urgent and not enough time on what is important.” —Stephen R. Covey
With these great sales quotes as your guide, find ways to be more efficient with your time and close more deals. Use tools to organize and manage sales data, automate follow-up emails, and work closely with marketing to find quality leads.
Customer-centric sales quotes
When you’re trying to make a sale, it can be easy to lose sight of the customer’s needs and push too hard. You then risk losing that prospective buyer. Work on becoming a customer-centric sales rep by drawing inspiration from these sales quotes.
- “This is not hard sell—it’s heart sell. Good questions get to the heart of the problem or the need very quickly, and the buyer doesn’t feel like he or she is being pushed.” —Jeffrey Gitomer
- “The only way I can get you to do anything is by giving you what you want.” —Dale Carnegie
- “Stop selling. Start helping.” —Matt White
- “Advertising works most effectively when it’s in line with what people are already trying to do.” —Mark Zuckerberg
- “If you work just for money, you’ll never make it. But if you love what you’re doing and you always put the customer first, success will be yours.” —Ray Kroc
- “Trust is the glue of life. It’s the most essential ingredient in effective communication. It's the foundational principle that holds all relationships.” —Stephen R. Covey
- “Always deliver more than expected.” —Larry Page
- “People don’t ask for facts in making up their minds. They would rather have one good, soul-satisfying emotion than a dozen facts.” —Robert Keith Leavitt
- “A salesperson tells, a good salesperson explains, and a great salesperson demonstrates.” —Harvey Mackay
- “The man who will use his skill and constructive imagination to see how much he can give for a dollar, instead of how little he can give for a dollar, is bound to succeed.” —Henry Ford
- “People don’t buy for logical reasons. They buy for emotional reasons.” —Zig Ziglar
- “Don’t celebrate closing a sale; celebrate opening a relationship.” —Patricia Fripp
Potential customers want to know that you care about them—not that you only want to make a buck. The quotes above can serve as reminders to keep consumers and their needs top of mind.
Overcoming rejection sales quotes
Prospects often have reasons why they can’t purchase your product or service. “It’s too expensive” and “Our company needs X, Y, and Z features” are two particularly common sales objections. And sometimes, no matter what you say to prospects, an objection can turn into a rejection, adding another deal to your “lost” pile. Here are a few sales quotes to help you move past these discouraging times.
- “Business opportunities are like buses; there’s always another one coming.” —Richard Branson
- “The worst troll is the one that lives in your head.” —Austin Kleon
- “Two days into my rejection journey, I had already learned my first big lesson: the way you ask a question—and how you follow through in the conversation—has an impact on the result you get. It might not change the outcome, but it can take a lot of the sting out of hearing no. Projecting confidence and staying calm—rather than cowering—had created a totally different experience.” —Jia Jiang
- “If you’re walking down the right path and you’re willing to keep walking, eventually you’ll make progress.” —Barack Obama
- “None of us in sales escapes the occasional ‘no.’ The power lies in understanding what each customer or prospect means when they say it. Once you know that, you’ll know what to do about it.” —Ron Karr
- “Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.” —Zig Ziglar
- “There will be obstacles. There will be doubters. There will be mistakes. But with hard work ... there are no limits.” —Michael Phelps
- “I stopped caring so much whether I got a yes or a no. Which meant, I supposed, that I was starting to care a bit less about what other people thought about me. And it felt liberating.” —Jia Jiang
- “In every sales conversation, the person who exerts the greatest amount of emotional control has the highest probability of getting the outcome they desire. You must first gain control of your emotions before you can influence the emotions of other people. Getting past no in all its various forms, begins and ends with emotional control.” —Jeb Blount
- “If you wait for certainty, you will spend your whole life standing still. And if you grow discouraged and give up when things get rough, you’ll miss out on your best possible destiny. So the secret is to be excited about what is in your power to control, be accepting of what’s not in your power to control, and then move with certainty into an uncertain future.” —Kevin Hart
- “Finally, I learned rejection is a compass. It teaches you what you don’t want so you can learn what you do.” —Cam Adair
- “We build up so much anxiety over the decision to take a plunge, and once we survive it, we look back and say, ‘It wasn’t so bad.’ ” —Daron Roberts
- “Develop the habit of letting small bad things happen. If you don’t, you’ll never find time for the life-changing big things.” —Tim Ferris
- “Rejection is one of life’s most painful experiences, especially if you are used to being successful. It doesn’t have to be debilitating. Underneath rejection’s disappointment, there are lessons and growth awaiting us if we have the courage and humility to uncover them.” —Ron Carucci
- “The most important thing to do if you find yourself in a hole is to stop digging.” —Warren Buffett
- “If you learn from defeat, you haven’t really lost.” —Zig Ziglar
- “You don’t learn to walk by following rules. You learn by doing, and by falling over.” —Richard Branson
- “Sales are contingent upon the attitude of the salesman, not the attitude of the prospect.” —William Clement Stone
- “The real test is not whether you avoid this failure, because you won’t. It’s whether you let it harden or shame you into inaction, or whether you learn from it; whether you choose to persevere.” —Barack Obama
Lost deals are a part of life for any sales rep, but that doesn’t always mean they’re easy to swallow. Learn from sales objections and apply those lessons to future customer conversations.
Motivational sales quotes
Crunching to meet your quota this quarter? Breaking down your sales goals into smaller, manageable tasks is an effective strategy for hitting targets. For an extra boost, here are some motivational quotes to help you crush your sales goals.
- “Life’s battles don’t always go to the stronger or faster man. But sooner or later, the man who wins is the man who thinks he can.” —Vince Lombardi
- “You cannot fail if you resolutely determine that you will not.” —Abraham Lincoln
- “Forget about the business outlook ... be on the outlook for business.” —Paul J. Meyer
- “Excellence is not a skill, it’s an attitude.” —Ralph Marston
- “When Henry Ford made cheap, reliable cars, people said, ‘Nah, what’s wrong with a horse?’ That was a huge bet he made, and it worked.” —Elon Musk
- “If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time.” —Zig Ziglar
- “To create a new standard, it takes something that’s not just a little bit different; it takes something that’s really new.” —Bill Gates
- “Pitches grow stagnant when you start to doubt.” —Mykola Tymkiv, COO at MacKeeper
- “Things never go as planned, so you need to always be ready to think on the fly. Always know that if you have a certain plan, it most likely won’t end up that way.” —Blaise Bevilacqua, senior account executive at UserGems
- “Goals aren’t enough. You need goals plus deadlines: goals big enough to get excited about and deadlines to make you run. One isn’t much good without the other, but together they can be tremendous.” —Ben Feldman
- “I have never worked a day in my life without selling. If I believe in something, I sell it, and I sell it hard.” —Estée Lauder
- “Confidence and enthusiasm are the greatest sales producers in any kind of economy.” —O.B. Smith
- “When obstacles arise, you change your direction to reach your goal; you do not change your decision to get there.” —Zig Ziglar
- “Passion is energy. Feel the power that comes from focusing on what excites you.” —Oprah Winfrey
- “I’m convinced that about half of what separates the successful entrepreneurs from the non-successful ones is pure perseverance.” —Steve Jobs
- “Success usually comes to those who are too busy to be looking for it.” —Henry David Thoreau
- “Winning isn’t everything, but wanting to win is.” —Vince Lombardi
- “The difference between ‘try’ and ‘triumph’ is just a little ‘umph.’ ” —Marvin Phillips
- “If you don’t see yourself as a winner, then you cannot perform as a winner.” —Zig Ziglar
Meeting sales quotas is often overwhelming, especially when you’re on a tight deadline. Whether you’re trying to complete weekly, monthly, or quarterly goals, get motivated with the quotes above. You’ve got this!
Thrive in your sales career with the help of great sales quotes
Sales is a rewarding career, but it isn’t without obstacles or periods of overwhelm. Potential customers won’t always want what you’re selling, major deals will fall through, and you might not meet your quota every quarter.
Use inspirational sales quotes to help you push through when the going gets tough. They can provide some much-needed motivation and reignite your drive to continue selling.